||Baba Wagué Diakité
ceramist, painter, Mali
- 2001 Pulliam Deffenbaugh Gallery. Portland, OR
- 2000 Pulliam Deffenbaugh Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1999 Pulliam Deftenbaugh Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1999 "Baba Wague Diakite: African Folktales", University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City, IA
- 1998 Pulliam Deffenbaugh Gallery. Portland, OR
- 1997 Pulliam Deffenbaugh Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1996 Pulliam Deftenbaugh Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1995 "Wague's Once-in-a-While Special Event", Pulliam Deffenbaugh Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1995 "The Way Back Home: Life as a Way of Art", Catlin Gabel School, Portland, OR
- 1994 "Wague' Ka Ko Ba Ke' Ko Kelen-Kelen" (Wague"s Once-In-A~While Special Event). Jamison/Thomas Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1993 "'Wague' Ka Ko Ba Ke' Ko Kelen-Kelen", Jamison/Thomas Gallery~ Portland, OR 1992 "Wague' Ka Ko Ba Ke' Ko Kelen-Kelen", Jamison/Thomas Gallery, Portland, OR 1992 "Don-Baw", Jamison/Thomas Gallery, New York, NY
- 1991 "Don-Ba Day", Jamison/Thomas Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1990 "Don-Ba!!!", Jamison/Thomas Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1989 "High Tea With Wague'. Jamison/Thomas Gallery. Portland. OR
- 1988 Contemporary Crafts Gallery, Portland, OR
- 1988 "High Tea With Wague", Jamison/Thomas Gallery, Portland, OR
- 2000 "Renewing Tradition: Bogolan in Mali and Abroad". University of Iowa Museum of Art. Iowa City, IA
- 2000 "Art of the African Diaspora: Influence & Confluence", Chemeketa Com Col, Salem, OR
- 1995 "Animal Image Show", Cannon Beach Art Assoc. Gallery, Cannon Beach, OR
- 1994 "Public Encounters", Bush Barn Art Center, Salem,OR
- 1994 Society for Contemporary Crafts, Philadelphia, PA
- 1993 "Art: Transcending Barriers", Forum '93, Vollum Center, Reed College, Portland, OR
- 1993 "Crosscut", Portland Art Museum, Portland, OR
- 1993 "One World: Traditional Root/Cultural Wings", Artquake, Portland, OR
- 1993 "Screams of Laughter" Bumbershoot, Seattle, WA
- 1993 "3 Dimensions X 5", Corvallis Arts Center, Corvallis, OR
- 1992 "Spirit of the West" Traveling Exhibition sponsored by West One Bank
- 1990 "International Tea Art Exhibition", Contemporary Crafts Gallery
- 1990 "A Tea Party", Faith Nightingale Gallery, San Diego, CA
- 1989 "Animal Imagery", Susan Cummins Gallery, Mill Valley, CA
- 1988 Susan Cummins Gallery, Mill Valley, CA
- 1988 "Plus Clay", Northwest Artist Workshop, Portland, OR
- 1988 "A Tea Party". Faith Nightingale Gallery, San Diego, CA
- 1987 "The Cup Show", Traveling exhibition, sponsored by Bush Barn, Salem & Visual Arts Resources, Eugene, OR
- 2000-01 Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge, Orlando, FL. One 6' h x 84' l painted mural for restaurant. Five 6' dia. and one 12' dia. bronze medallions inlaid in floor of the Animal Kingdom Lodge.
- 1998 The Oregon Zoo, Portland, OR; a 6' x 8' Mural consisting of sandblasted slate and tile mosaic installed in walkway at the new entrance of zoo
- 1997 West International House Plaza, Oregon State University; Corvallis, OR through Oregon Arts Commission "Per Cent For Art Program". Fifty two l' h x l' w ceramic tile murals integrated into outdoor columns along covered walkway depicting images from various cultures around the world.
- 1994-95 Portland Community College, Cascade Campus: Painted Mural for Terrell Hall Auditorium
- 1993-95 North Precinct Police Station: Outdoor art for the Pedestrian Park; Portland, OR. Includes an 8'h x 30'1 painted mural, painted tiles for pool seating area, painted tiles for 30 pilasters, 30 mosaics for seating areas, brick design images in pavement, 2 concrete sculptures for fountain.
- 1991 Southern Oregon State College, Ashland, OR. Eight painted and cut-out masonite fantasy creatures varying in size from 2'x4' to 8'x3', mounted in entryway of Day Care Center.
- 1990-91 Tropical Rain Forest Exhibit Installation: Commissioned by Washington Park Zoo, Portland, OR; through Oregon Percent for the Arts Program. Four concrete low relief sculptures; one 4' x4', one 3'x4', one 3'x3', one 2'x4', integrally installed in gunite walls. Seven small hand embossed sculptures integrated into gunite walls. One 6 1/2'h x 30'1 hand embossed wall in gunite.
- 1990 Governor's Arts Awards: Commissioned by Oregon Arts Commission. Five 14" diameter platters for 5 award recipients and one low relief sculptured 12' diameter bowl for sightless award recipient.
- 1990 Appreciation Award: Commissioned by Oregon Advocates for the Arts. One 14" diameter platter for Oregon Governor Neil Goldschmidt to be presented at Governor's Art Awards.
- 1989 "My Dinner With the Devil Snake", animated video commissioned by PBS's" Alive From Off Center program. Collaborated on story line, acted, created pottery which was animated. In conjunction with filmmakers Jim Blashfield and Joan Gratz, and artist Ronna Neuenschwander.
- University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City, IA
- Oregon State University West International House, Corvallis, OR
- University of Oregon Library, Eugene, OR
- Childrens Art Museum, San Diego, CA
- University of Washington Hospital, Seattle, WA
- Washington Park Zoo, Portland, OR
- Portland Community College, Portland, OR
- Artquake, Portland, OR
- Kaiser Permanente, Portland, OR
- 2001 African Arts, summer, vol. XXXIV No.2, ""Baba Wague Diakite" portfolio by Victoria Rovine, pp.64-71
- 2001 Groundwood Books, "The Pot of Wisdom", by Adwoa Badoe, Illustrated by Baba Wague Diakite
- 1999 Scholastic Inc, "The Hatseller and the Monkeys", written and illustrated by Wague (1999Aesop Accolade)
- 1997 The Sunday Oregonian Arts & Books, April 27, ""Baba Wague Diakite:Out of Africa" by Randy Gragg
- 1997 Scholastic Inc, "The Hunterman and the Crocodile", written and illustrated on ceramic tiles by Wague. (1998 Coretta Scott King Honor Book Award)
- 1995 AFRIOUE/Etats-Unis. 3-'95, No 829, "(Un Ceramiste Malien dans l'Oregon", pp.14-15.
- 1994 Ceramics Monthly, Dec '94, Vo142, No 10, "Baba Wague Diakite: From Mali to Oregon" by Peter Held, pp 25-28.
- 1994 Downtowner, June 13, "BABA WAGUE: Ancient Messages Come Alive" by Lance Sparks, pp.9-10.
- 1994 Art & Antiques, Nov issue, Vol 17, No 9, p.40.
- 1993 Landscape Architecture. Feb issue, Vol 83, No 2, "Is Public Art Passe'?" by Randy Gragg, pp.58-61.
- 1992 The Oregonian, Sept. 11, "From Ceramic to Print, Artist Tells A Whopper" by Joel Weinstein
- 1992 Northwest Living, The Sunday Oregonian, Nov. 24, 1992, "Out of Africa" by Helen Mershon
- 1990 The Oregonian. Dec. 28, 1990, "Hands Bond Generations", front page
- 1990 Northwest Magazine, June 24,"Tropics Under Glass" by Andee Hochman
- 1990 Northwest Gallery, March/April issue, Vo12, No 2, "Ronna Neuenschwander and Baba Wague Diakite" by Lois Allen, pp. 12-15
- 1987 Premier, Aug/Sept issue, "Love Story in Clay" by Eric Stone, pp.16-18.
|these pages submitted to africancraft.com by Baba Wagué Diakité,|
Jun. 2002 -- last updated, May. 2009